Thursday, September 13, 2012

Random Thoughts

My sketches are sucking at this moment, so I'm not posting them. I've been trying to use watercolors, and I quite enjoy the control required to do it. But at the same time, when every line laid out on the paper "counts" it is really difficult not to mess up. It's like doing math with a pen. Also, when I was visiting my parents a few weeks ago my mom had REALLY good watercolor paper that just sucked up all the paint like it was staining the paper- I posted a few of those (the trees in the forest and the sunset over the desert); using sub par paper is annoying because the watercolor runs all over. Even here in the desert, when it drys out in two seconds.

My time has been more valuably spent reading a book on the meanings of symbols of art in the east and west. I've exposed myself to many of the ideas in this before, but this book in particular has been setting off lightbulbs of understanding in my head. I suppose I'm also a symbolic artist, so slowly delving deeper and deeper into the ideas and understanding some of the connections as an image survives multiple cultures to grow in strength, or is lost, or twisted into something ugly as a commentary on a previous culture... well, I'm enjoying myself.  I am definitely going to take greater pleasure viewing art in general with this knowledge.

In any event, a new quote from old times:

"Make Haste Slowly"

This has popped up in the book several times, and I love it. It's certainly very applicable to me.

Have a great day.



No comments:

Post a Comment