Monday, May 20, 2013

Dull TV Plots

I do watch some tv, but often just in the background as I'm cleaning or painting. Some shows are good, lately, which is it's own conversation.  What I've noticed recently is the intense recycling of plots. I first noticed it about 5 years ago, when I randomly saw three tv programs in one week that had the exact same love triangle.  Shouldn't there be some sort of plagiarism notification for TV? "This Program was Plagiarized from..."  So we can choose to flip the channel if we aren't interested in seeing the same story, different actors?

Most recent example that caught my attention was the plot of the killer roller derby girls, with a side moral discussion of how they defy cultural conventions, but then murder  for the most base of human emotions (take your pick): jealousy, money, whatever.  I do not know the actual order of program use, but the first time (CSI:Miami) it seemed unique and humorous, and very campy, as one expected from the no-longer-in-existence CSI Miami.  Then it showed up on Bones, Hawai'i 5-O (wtf?) and one other program, I can't remember right now.

1 comment: